The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © 2020 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME A-C

Chapelle de l'hôpital

Saint-Joseph

185 Rue Raymond Losserand, 75014 Paris

1897 - Alexander Young & Sons

The chapel of St. Joseph's Hospital was built from 1899 to 1902 by Jacques Lequeux for Bishop Hulst. The renovation of the chapel in 2018 has also brought a novelty: an English organ from the Romantic period, with painted pipes in the buffet.
This organ was built by Alexander Young & Sons Ltd, a firm of organ builders based in Manchester. It has a plaque attached to it that reads, 'ALEXR. YOUNG & SONS, ORGAN BUILDERS, MANCHESTER, 1897.' Alexander Young was born in Glamis Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1809 and by 1837 he was living in Chorlton upon Medlock, Manchester, where he was employed as an organ builder, and by the time of the 1871 census he had become a foreman. The 1871 census also records that his son, William Alexander, was employed as an organ tuner but in 1872 he founded the family business of Alexander Young & Sons Ltd, which was established in Vine Street, off Stretford Road, Hulme. His father joined him in 1873 and in 1875 the business moved to 27 and 29 Eldon Street, Chorlton. The couple’s eldest son, David Farquharson, was also associated with the family business. Alexander Young died in 1880, aged 71 years, David Farquharson died in 1911, aged 70 years. Source
Organs of Paris

Chapelle de

l'hôpital Saint-

Joseph

185 Rue Raymond Losserand, 75014 Paris

1897 - Alexander Young & Sons

ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt HOME A-C
This organ was built by Alexander Young & Sons Ltd, a firm of organ builders based in Manchester. It has a plaque attached to it that reads, 'ALEXR. YOUNG & SONS, ORGAN BUILDERS, MANCHESTER, 1897.' Alexander Young was born in Glamis Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1809 and by 1837 he was living in Chorlton upon Medlock, Manchester, where he was employed as an organ builder, and by the time of the 1871 census he had become a foreman. The 1871 census also records that his son, William Alexander, was employed as an organ tuner but in 1872 he founded the family business of Alexander Young & Sons Ltd, which was established in Vine Street, off Stretford Road, Hulme. His father joined him in 1873 and in 1875 the business moved to 27 and 29 Eldon Street, Chorlton. The couple’s eldest son, David Farquharson, was also associated with the family business. Alexander Young died in 1880, aged 71 years, David Farquharson died in 1911, aged 70 years. Source